Re: How to install app from source code?

>I can start gnome-session, then mount CDROM #4 from 6 disk set, and then find
>the .gz and .dsc files.  But that's as far as I can get.  Which debian
>install untility will work with these packages?  I could try to do it from
>command line if that would help.  If I click on a .tar.gz file the Olde M$h*t
>way in the Gnome File Manager, the source code will display as text, but no
>install program gets initiated.

You are trying to use debianized source files from a debian cd right?

You need dpkg-dev installed   ("apt-get install dpkg-dev" should do
it)

Then point dpkg at the source files like this

dpkg-source -x  mypackage.dsc           (the .dsc file is the key
here)

then within the resulting directory do

dpkg-buildpackage

and you will end up with a nice .deb which you can install with

dpkg -i myprogram.deb

It's a doddle really.

Good luck!

Glyn M