Re: Senior Project

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:20:03 +0100 (CET)
Sebastiaan <sebas@sacred-key.org> wrote:

[...]
> The only thing with which I notice slow processor is when I ssh or telnet
> to it and read mail on it. So, if you do not need this, the machine serves
> well.

Telnet and ssh send more or less one character per packets in both
ways, each geting a full header, and hence move much more data than
you actually realize (You don't see the character you type until the
remote host echoes it). Also, for being very small packets you get
full impact of latency which isn't that short with ADSL. So it's quite
unlikely that your 486 is such responsible for that. Did you try it
using a faster computer? Also, did you try moving a mail with a big
attachment? You should notice that it comes quite a bit quicker.

Just my 0.02c.

--
Christoph Simon
datageo@terra.com.br