Re: Senior Project

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Christoph Simon wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:20:03 +0100 (CET)
> Sebastiaan <sebas@sacred-key.org> wrote:
>
> [...]
> > The only thing with which I notice slow processor is when I ssh or telnet
> > to it and read mail on it. So, if you do not need this, the machine serves
> > well.
>
> Telnet and ssh send more or less one character per packets in both
> ways, each geting a full header, and hence move much more data than
> you actually realize (You don't see the character you type until the
> remote host echoes it). Also, for being very small packets you get
> full impact of latency which isn't that short with ADSL. So it's quite
> unlikely that your 486 is such responsible for that. Did you try it
> using a faster computer? Also, did you try moving a mail with a big
> attachment? You should notice that it comes quite a bit quicker.
Hi,

well, I telnet (or more ssh, actually) via a phone line. You are right, I
do not get this slow behaviour when I am on the local network. It works
fast enough then. I have also not noticed any limits when
uploading/downloading (ok, it is limited to 512kbs, but I doubt the fact
that the computer is too slow to handle more).

Greetz,
Sebastiaan