Re: Dell 4200 w/perc3 raid

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Bryan Hall wrote:

     Upon initial setup, Debian distro doesn't appear to recognize the perc3 raid controller. No problem.. drivers not installed, likely.
     Unfortunately, upon attempting to utilize the 'preload drivers' function in the setup, it returns an error message stating 'Cannot mount floppy' critical error, and places me at the 'configure network' screen under the assumption that it's a diskless station I'm on.

     Can anyone offer me any suggestions as to why this is, and how I might be able to get around this? Additionally, I'd be indebted to anyone who could point me in the right direction to obtain drivers for said perc3 controller.

     Muchly appreciated, and my thanks for the patience. I'm a 'dozer who's seen the light, and making the big leap into the (for me, that is) great unknown that is Debian Linux.

Hi, I have a Dell with a percraid controller and yes, debian don't support this
type of controller... the driver was Dell's propietary without releasing the
source code, and give to the linux community pre-compiled kernels that supports
all the platforms.

A few month ago Dell releases the driver under GPL and it will be introduced
into the 2.4.x brach of the kernel when the stability increase...

I have a RedHat :-( into the machine, but I have installed the dpkg and apt
software to allow install packages from debian ;-) I recomend an aproach like
this to configure and run the machine...

     Respectfully,

     Bryan H. Hall