Re: FS Question

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 11:31:52PM -0300, Guilherme Barile wrote:
> Hi
>  I'm developing something for data archival/retriaval (documents).
>  Can someone tell me how many files I may have on one directory (ext2fs)
>  Thanks in advance

im not sure what the limit is, its very high, but the problems with
ext2 is it gets very very slow the more files you add to a single
directory.  you will run into severe performance problems long before
you run into a hard limit.  you can do one of two things about this:

1) use a directory hash scheme, eg: foo/a/alpha foo/b/beta and so on.
2) use a different filesystem, such as SGI's XFS or reiserfs.  note
that reiserfs does not work on big endian archtectures such as powerpc,
sparc and m68k, XFS is fine on these.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/