Re: importing gnuplot eps into microsoft word

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 08:46:39PM -0500, Ron Peterson wrote:
> > This EPS picture will print to a Postscript printer
[]
> > This text is also printed on my PS printer (hjlj2100).
>
> It _will_ print to a postscript printer, but what goes where the ...'s
> are?  I think it says something like _will not_ print to a
> non-postscript printer.  The HP Laserjet 2100 does not support
> postscript.  The 2100M and 2100TN do.

Ahhah! The person does have the 2100TN but had the '2100 PCL' driver
installed, not the '2100 PS' driver installed. Installing the correct
driver fixes the proplem. I wasn't aware of the intricacies of hp's
naming scheeme.

> A postscript printer should not require an EPS preview be saved in order
> to print.  Just the opposite: a non-postscript printer would require the
> preview to print.  The preview is just a raster image.  A non-postscript
> printer, by definition, does not know how to rasterize postscript, but
> it might be able to print the (already rasterized) preview.

Ok, thanks for explaining that - I see now that 'ps2epsi' makes a
raster preview image whereas 'set terminal postscript eps' doesn't.

The ps2epsi'ed file still doesn't show the image, put I take your point
that this may actually be a blessing in disguise. I'll just have to
convince the person that you don't really need to see the graph until
it is printed out.

Thanks,
Mark.