Re: FS Question

Guilherme Barile wrote:

> Hi
>  I'm developing something for data archival/retriaval (documents).
>  Can someone tell me how many files I may have on one directory (ext2fs)
>  Thanks in advance

As far as I know there is no limit to the number of files you can have
in a directory but access to the files will be very slow if you have
many files.
Current ext2 behaviour causes the access time to go up with the number
of files squared so having 20000 files is approximately 4 times as slow
as having 10000 files - work is underway to solve this.

I would recommend having less than 1024 files in each directory, partly
because of the ext2 behaviour described above and partly because mv, rm
etc do not like beeing fed more than 1024 files.

Happy hacking,

\Gandalf