Re: Push mirror?

On 2001-02-20 10:08 +0100, Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy@kaplowitz.org> wrote:

> On that topic, what IMAP server do you recommend? I'd like to set one up, but
> I'd prefer if it could (1) be fast and (2) work with my regular unix mail
> spool file setup (mbox). I would be willing (and eager) to forgo #2 if somehow
> the new format could notify me when I receive new mail as the standard mbox
> format does.

I use courier-imap. It's easy to set up, it works, so it's the only one
I've tried, with clear documentation by the debian maintainer on how to
get exim deliver to ~/Maildir/. Don't forget to set $MAIL, you will be
notified about new Mail in ~/Maildir/ then. Though I initially use
Maildir in my setup, I can have mbox in two ways. The first one is
save in mbox format on the server (which both mutt and exim can access),
the second move mail from the server to local mbox files.  There are
some issues with Netscape, you might have to clear your cache to have
the recent mail count, and it doesn't speak Maildir; but you can
manipulate your mboxes graphically on the IMAP server with it. As for
mutt, be sure to use at least version 1.2.5i. But I haven't figured out
how to use Gnus with IMAP then.

Andre Berger                                [andre.berger@topmail.de]