Re: LSB and RPM

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:31:21 PST, Nate Amsden writes:
>Eric Richardson wrote:
>> As in the previous thread  -- Why choose Debian? -- it seems the
>> packaging, updating system and stability are major plus points. What is
>> the long term forecast for package managers and the LSB? Hope this
>> hasn't been covered.

>... and they
>don't support past releases(e.g. debian 2.1 support was dropped
>almost immediately after 2.2 came out). whereas redhat/suse/turbo
>etc support releases going back several years in most cases. the
>term 'it ain't broke so why fixit' is very popular in the unix
>world, IMO it doesn't apply really in debian's case because
>you either have to upgrade, or compile your own updates for critical
>packages, or live with the fact that as time goes on your system
>may be less and less secure(not a good thought to me).

Well I haven´t dist-upgraded to 2.2 yet, but keep my sources.list
pointed to stable nonetheless. So matter-of-factly I have a quite
secure (incl. security-fixes) and up-to-date system with a
2.0.38-kernel ;) and I wouldn´t call it unsupported, weren´t it for
some bug in the samba-pkg I´d had no problem until now.

&rw
--
/  Ing. Robert Waldner  | Network Engineer | T: +43 1 89933  F: x533 \
\ <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> |    KPNQwest/AT   |   DSA key ID: C33A2BC0  /