Re: LSB and RPM

Eric Richardson <eric@milagrosoft.com> wrote:
>I was reading the Linux Standard Base(LSB) spec and see that it
>specifies the Redhat Package Manager (RPM) v3 as the standard package
>manager. After looking at different approaches and philosophy to linux,
>I settled on Debian. Debian of course wants to be standard as in the
>Filesystem Hierarchy Standard(FSH) and LSB but what gives here.

dpkg is so much technically superior to rpm that we've seen no good
reason to shift. :) The great thing about standards is that there are so
many to choose from. And the work involved in shifting to rpm, if for
some reason we decided to, would be astronomical and consume time much
better spent fixing real bugs.

In the long term, I've heard it suggested that the two formats may
eventually converge (see the interview with Wichert Akkerman on
http://www.debianplanet.org/). I wouldn't expect this to be any time in
the near future, though.