checkpassword

This seems to be a common problem, as I found a number of
complaints about it on the web, but no solutions which seem
to work for me.  I have a small home network with a
dedicated server running Debain 2.2 w/ kernel 2.4.1.  I have
qmail installed and working on the server - I can send and
recieve mail over the internet if I'm logged in locally to
the server.  I'm now trying to get POP3 working so I can
access mail from my other systems.  I can not get
checkpassword to authenticate my login.  I can telnet into
localhost port 110 and get the POP3 prompt but it denies my
password everytime.

I have shadow passwords and PAM installed and am using
checkpassword v0.90, which is supposed to work with shadow
passwords and PAM.   I found mention of setting options in
the Makefile to enable this but as near as I can tell this
referred to v0.8x and they no longer seem to be there in
v0.90.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions or hints on
how to fix this.