SamBozo Debian User wrote:

> my bad
> resolv.conf    is the file in question
>
> also the entrys are in numbers
>
> -----------------
> nameservers 208.6.xxx.xxx
> -----------------

be sure its "nameserver" and not "nameservers" note the singular.

> these entrys are identical in both the box that is resolving names just
> fine and the new box that is not resolving names.
> the non-name resolvable box can ping the name servers fine
>
> both boxes are on a 192.168.xxx.xxx network thru the same gateway box
>
> is it a service somewhere that may not have been started, installed, or
> setup correctly?

also it may be worth checking /etc/nsswitch.conf. be sure the line
that says "hosts" has the word "dns" after "files". it's possible
however unlikely that files(s) are missing. host resolution doesn't
require much to be a client.

if its still not working and you checked the above.. be sure that box
can out of the network with traceroute (use the -n option to not
resolve the ips) if it still won't work and network connectivity
is working..then..email again. traceroute to my ip if you want
216.39.174.24

nate

--
:::