ide cdrom -> scsi emu problems

This pretty much goes along side the "CDROM device" question asked by William Leese earlier on the list, but I have troubles too ;-)

I recompiled my kernel (2.4.1) last night to include support for my new cd writer, but now that i have done that, the switch to IDE to SCSI emulation has changed the whereabouts of my DVD drive and my cd writer. For instance::

mechanical@alpha:~$ mount /cdrom
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (aren't you trying to mount an extended partition,
       instead of some logical partition inside?)
mechanical@alpha:~$

(and yes, i have a CD in there - i`m trying to install my Myth II Cd by Loki ;-)

Or if I try::

mechanical@alpha:~$ mount /dev/hdc
mount: can't find /dev/hdc in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
mechanical@alpha:~$ mount /dev/hdd
mount: can't find /dev/hdd in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
mechanical@alpha:~$

I know those drive locations are correct, b/c "dmesg | less" pointed them out.

Where can I find my drives?

Thanks,

Jerrud

(sorry for the long post)