X window

I recently had someone install Debian for me on my other computer.  At the time we were setting up the device drivers for the X window system I didn't know what video card I had.  He told me to go into file XF86Setup to put in the right device driver.  I did but apparently the device driver for my mouse was wrong.  Now my system boots straight into the X window system and I can't do anything. I've tried Ctrl-Alt-Backspace but all it does is take me back to the login screen.  Is there anyway I can get back to the text interface so I can configure my mouse correctly?