Re: X window

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, Michael Light wrote:

> I recently had someone install Debian for me on my other computer.
> At the time we were setting up the device drivers for the X window
> system I didn't know what video card I had.  He told me to go into
> file XF86Setup to put in the right device driver.  I did but
> apparently the device driver for my mouse was wrong.  Now my system
> boots straight into the X window system and I can't do anything.
> I've tried Ctrl-Alt-Backspace but all it does is take me back to the
> login screen.  Is there anyway I can get back to the text interface
> so I can configure my mouse correctly?

ctrl+alt+F1 will get you a text console where you can log in and correct
the config file.

for testing it's probably bes to stop xdm (or what ever display manager
you're using) and start X with startx at a prompt.

to stop xdm type as root

# /etc/init.d/xdm stop

Today people in droves hurry up past Heumoz to Villars
on the road to the ski hills, so they can rush down them
as fast as possible, so they can hurry up again in order
to rush down again.  In a way this is funny,...

			Francis A Schaeffer

David Purton

http://www.chariot.net.au/~dcpurton/
dcpurton@chariot.net.au