Re: Antwort: Rebooting is foolish ....

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 07:19:28AM -0800, Cam Ellison wrote:
> Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > By the way, when you have buggy multi-PC KB switcher, and
> > KB goes crazy, restarting gpm also intialize KB nicely.
> >
> OK, I'll offer a test.  I do have a keyboard I want to try, and I don't
> want to go through the hassle of shutting down.  How am I to issue a
> command if I disconnect the keyboard and the new one doesn't work?
>
> I'm serious -- I am exactly in that position right now, and I'd welcome
> the opportunity to try this out.  What do I need to do (please be fairly
> explicit, I've still got a lot to learn about this)

Try this long command:

# while true; do
    /etc/init.d/gpm stop
    echo -n Swap your keyboard...
    sleep 30
    /etc/init.d/gpm start
    echo and try it out...
    sleep 300
done

The sleep 30 will give you time to dis/reconnect the keyboard.
The sleep 300 will give you some time to test the new keyboard
(on a different virtual console that is) And the while will give
several runs to try it.  Stop the while with Ctrl-C.
But don't sue me if it doesn't work:)

--
groetjes, carel