Re: Antwort: Rebooting is foolish ....

I agree with Carel.  As long as X read from /dev/gpmdata (most sane
configuration but too many people disregards...), reboot is not
needed for KB/mouse initialization.

I just unplugged my mouse while in X4, replug -- cant move,
restrted gpm to initialize, there I go again.

By the way, when you have buggy multi-PC KB switcher, and
KB goes crazy, restarting gpm also intialize KB nicely.

I have one occasion which needs reboot. "TESTING new LILO/mbr
configuration (booting multiple linux installation with
multiple kernel images...".

Osamu

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 11:29:46PM +0100, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 05:30:11PM -0500, David B . Harris wrote:
> > To quote Carel Fellinger <cfelling@iae.nl>,
> > # On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 04:06:03PM -0500, David B . Harris wrote:
> > # ...
> > # > You also need to re-boot for some hardware re-initialization. See
> > the
> > # > recent thread on XFree 4.0.2 and an IntelliMouse-compatible mouse.
> > #
> > # I doubt it.  Any trouble I've had with PS2 mouses not being properly
> > # initialized could be solved by "/etc/init.d.gpm restart" preceded by
TYPO: "/etc/init.d/gpm restart"