Re: Antwort: Rebooting is foolish ....

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 05:30:11PM -0500, David B . Harris wrote:
> To quote Carel Fellinger <cfelling@iae.nl>,
> # On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 04:06:03PM -0500, David B . Harris wrote:
> # ...
> # > You also need to re-boot for some hardware re-initialization. See
> the
> # > recent thread on XFree 4.0.2 and an IntelliMouse-compatible mouse.
> #
> # I doubt it.  Any trouble I've had with PS2 mouses not being properly
> # initialized could be solved by "/etc/init.d.gpm restart" preceded by
> # the occasionally physical reconnecting of the mouse.  But YMMV:)
>
> Don't doubt it. I didn't just make it up to prove that a reboot *could*
> be required to re-initialize hardware :)

But I *do* doubt it:)
You see, unplugging the mouse and then replugging it resets the mouse,
restarting gpm redoes the initialisation, so what else could be necessery?
Ofcourse I could be overlooking something.  I've read that thread you
refered to, but I don't remember having seen that the really did the above,
i.e. unplug the mouse, reconnect the mouse, restart gpm.  If they did, and
the mouse still refused to work, please tell me and I admit you're right.

--
groetjes, carel