Antwort: Rebooting is foolish ....

As far as I know you only might want to reboot if you change the hostname and
want it active. If you change the partitiontable it might be usefull.

For the deamons the startscripts redide in /etc/init.d (SuSE/sbin/init.d/) and
all accept start, stop, sometimes status, reload, restart. Try it by typing them
without an argument.
When you edit /etc/inittab, which is a little dangerous for newbes, you reload
with init q.

If you are not sure wich deamons you have to restart, change the runlevel. init
1 brings you to the singleuser mode without network I think, init 2 i.e. brings
you to runlevel 2 and starts whatever you've defined in /etc/init.d/rc2.d. I
allways use that if I change the IP-Address, because I am to lazy to restart the
network and the routing ;-)

The Linuxcommunity is proud of their uptimes, so we never reboot...

martin

SamBozo Debian User <peacemkr@wcc.net> on 16.02.2001 15:37:06