Re: IMPS/2 problems after kernel 2.4.1 update

Okay, first of all, please use paragraphs. They exist for a reason :)
Since it's too much trouble for me to break things up to present a nice
clear, response, you'll have to deal with my babbling.

First of all, if your mouse isn't initialized as an IntelliMouse, it
pretends it's a regular PS/2 mouse.

Second, gpm gets to your mouse before X, so you have to be positive that
your mouse type is set to "imps2" in /etc/gpm.conf .

Third, it sounds like both GPM and X are trying to use /dev/psaux. Check
to see what /dev/mouse is linked to. Since you're using GPM and X,
specify explicitly in XF86Config[-4] that the mouse device is
/dev/gpmdata, not /dev/mouse .

Now, try rebooting, after making sure all those config options are set
properly. If it still doesn't work, set X to use /dev/psaux, type
ImPS/2, 'rm /etc/rc2.d/*gpm' to stop 'gpm' from being started on boot,
and then re-boot. Hopefully that will work. If it doesn't, you have
problems that arn't caused by X or gpm.

The reboots are necessary, and they have to be hard-boots. This is
because of the mouse initialization thing.

Hope that helps :)

To quote Dave Bresson <david.bresson@yale.edu>,
#
#
# Hi there,
#
#
# I'm having a problem with my Microsoft Intellimouse (an intellimouse
with
# two buttons and a scroll wheel that uses the ps/2 interface) since
going
# from a 2.2.x kernel to 2.4.1.  The way i have setup (and how
everything
# worked perfectly before this upgrade) was that gpm was set to read
from
# /dev/psaux using the imps2 protocol.  It then repeats this to
/dev/gpmdata
# which i then have /dev/mouse linked to.  My XF86Config-4 is setup so
that
# it knows the mouse is at /dev/mouse, and uses the imPS/2 protocol.  I
also
# have a line for the Zaxis stuff to get the scroll wheel to act like
# buttons 4 and 5 in X so that the wheel works.  Anyway, all this is
well
# and good because it was this exact setup that worked before the new
# kernel.  Anyway, since upgrading the kernel, gpm no longer works on
# /dev/psaux with the imps2 protocol (hence, X doesn't work either...).
The
# mouse just goes all crazy moving all over the place, and pushing
random
# buttons and what not.  So i set gpm and X to use the regular ps/2
# protocol, and everything was fine, however i get no third button or
# scroll wheel anymore, which sucks.  Just in case this was just a gpm
# problem, i tried having X read directly from /dev/psaux using the
IMPS/2
# protocol, but unfortunately got the same bad result.  Does anyone have
any
# idea what might be the problem here?  It had to have been something i
# configured wrong in the kernel...however i don't know what, since it
just
# made the IMPS/2 stuff not work, while the regular PS/2 still
works...very
# strange.  Any ideas, or tips?
#
#
# thanks,
#
#
#
# dave
#
#
#
#
# --
# To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-request@lists.debian.org
# with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact
listmaster@lists.debian.org
#

David Barclay Harris, Clan Barclay
    Aut agere, aut mori. (Either action, or death.)