IMPS/2 problems after kernel 2.4.1 update

Hi there,

I'm having a problem with my Microsoft Intellimouse (an intellimouse with
two buttons and a scroll wheel that uses the ps/2 interface) since going
from a 2.2.x kernel to 2.4.1.  The way i have setup (and how everything
worked perfectly before this upgrade) was that gpm was set to read from
/dev/psaux using the imps2 protocol.  It then repeats this to /dev/gpmdata
which i then have /dev/mouse linked to.  My XF86Config-4 is setup so that
it knows the mouse is at /dev/mouse, and uses the imPS/2 protocol.  I also
have a line for the Zaxis stuff to get the scroll wheel to act like
buttons 4 and 5 in X so that the wheel works.  Anyway, all this is well
and good because it was this exact setup that worked before the new
kernel.  Anyway, since upgrading the kernel, gpm no longer works on
/dev/psaux with the imps2 protocol (hence, X doesn't work either...).  The
mouse just goes all crazy moving all over the place, and pushing random
buttons and what not.  So i set gpm and X to use the regular ps/2
protocol, and everything was fine, however i get no third button or
scroll wheel anymore, which sucks.  Just in case this was just a gpm
problem, i tried having X read directly from /dev/psaux using the IMPS/2
protocol, but unfortunately got the same bad result.  Does anyone have any
idea what might be the problem here?  It had to have been something i
configured wrong in the kernel...however i don't know what, since it just
made the IMPS/2 stuff not work, while the regular PS/2 still works...very
strange.  Any ideas, or tips?

thanks,

dave