Re: IMPS/2 problems after kernel 2.4.1 update

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, David B. Harris wrote:

> Okay, first of all, please use paragraphs. They exist for a reason :)
> Since it's too much trouble for me to break things up to present a nice
> clear, response, you'll have to deal with my babbling.

Yeah, sorry about that...my babbling doesn't translate well to paragraphs.
Ah well...

> First of all, if your mouse isn't initialized as an IntelliMouse, it
> pretends it's a regular PS/2 mouse.

Right.  What do you mean by 'initialized'?  You mean initialized as in
what gpm.conf and XF86Config-4 have it set as?  Or something else?

> Second, gpm gets to your mouse before X, so you have to be positive that
> your mouse type is set to "imps2" in /etc/gpm.conf .

Yep, got that.

> Third, it sounds like both GPM and X are trying to use /dev/psaux. Check
> to see what /dev/mouse is linked to. Since you're using GPM and X,
> specify explicitly in XF86Config[-4] that the mouse device is
> /dev/gpmdata, not /dev/mouse .

Well, since X wants to use /dev/mouse , i made it a sym link to
/dev/gpmdata (since that is what gpm is set to repeat to)  I guess i
probably shoulda stated that it was just a link in my previous email.

> Now, try rebooting, after making sure all those config options are set
> properly. If it still doesn't work, set X to use /dev/psaux, type
> ImPS/2, 'rm /etc/rc2.d/*gpm' to stop 'gpm' from being started on boot,
> and then re-boot. Hopefully that will work. If it doesn't, you have
> problems that arn't caused by X or gpm.

Okay, i had tried this before, however it was without the reboot, so i
tried it again.  As it turned out, this fixed it.  Pointing X straight to
/dev/psaux, and not starting gpm at all did it.  Which leads me to believe
that gpm doesn't work with the new kernel 2.4.1 i set up, since the old
configuration worked just fine with 2.2.18...very strange.  Any ideas on
why this might be?

thanks,

dave