Re: Which computer to buy ?

Lars Knudsen wrote:

> hzi@uol.com.br wrote:
> >
> > Hello, Antonio!
> >
> >         IMHO, you should buy Intel, since AMD chips don't do floating
> > point operations adequately (these are important in graphics), unless you
>
> This was true years ago but is certainly not true anymore.
> The AMD Duron and Thunderbird chips are at least as good as
> a PIII and very much better than the P4. The P4 is only
> worthwhile if you have applications that are specifically
> optimized for it and as far as I know no such applications
> exists for Linux.

A recent article in The COmputer Paper (you could find it in
www.canadacomputes.com. I think) found the Athlon 1.2 whipped the P4 in
virtually every test category.  And it's less than half the price,
especially when you add memory into the equation.

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.
camellison@dccnet.com
cam@fleuryassociates.com