Re: Which computer to buy ?

hzi@uol.com.br wrote:

> Hello, Antonio!
>
>         IMHO, you should buy Intel, since AMD chips don't do floating
> point operations adequately (these are important in graphics), unless you

This was true years ago but is certainly not true anymore.
The AMD Duron and Thunderbird chips are at least as good as
a PIII and very much better than the P4. The P4 is only
worthwhile if you have applications that are specifically
optimized for it and as far as I know no such applications
exists for Linux.

> only
> plan using your computer for desktop application (e.g., StarOffice). In terms of desktpo applications, there's no difference between high-end PIIIs and not-
> so-fast PIII (say, 800 MHz). If you would like to use Linux desktop appilcations (GNOME, KDE, etc.), consider buying 128 M RAM.

Linux likes memory but 128M is ok for most things.

Happy hacking,

\Gandalf