Re: DNS: not working correctly

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 01:43:44PM +0100, Sebastiaan wrote:
> I have version 8.2.2-P7 of bind. Is woody's bind up to date enough?

This version of bind is vulnerable to root compromise, you should add:

## security updates
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ potato/updates main contrib
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-non-US/ potato/non-US main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ potato/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-non-US/ potato/non-US main contrib

to your /etc/apt/sources.list and run apt-get update && apt-get
dist-upgrade immediatly.

also if your name server has inexplicably crashed recently as you
appear to have observed in an earlier message you should audit your
system very carefully.  the exploit for your version of bind causes
named to crash but not before running /bin/sh for the attacker.  if
you run bind as root (NOT recommended) you end up with a root
compromise.

in short never ever run bind in the default debian configuration,
always rewrite its initscript to run it as named.named (you need to
add this user and group) and inside a chroot jail.  i have a
initscript patch which will take care of automatically updating the
chroot jail and run named unprivileged in chroot, just mail me if your
interested.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/