Re: XFree86-4.0 screen resolution missmatched with monitor viewing area

Quoting John Foster (jfoster@augustmail.com):
> judd@wadsworth.org wrote:
> >
> >      The virtual resolution is by default set to the maximum resolution
> > for the display (I think).  In the display section add the line:
> >
> >      Virtual 1024 768
> >
> > You might not be able to switch to a larger display, however.  See
> > man XF86Config.

>  That did it! It is not exactly what I wanted to achieve, but at least
> it puts me back to where I was before the upgrade.

But isn't this all that's happened (where I've used 1152 864 and
a 3.3.6 server):

(**) Mach64: Mode "1280x1024": mode clock = 135.000
(--) Mach64: Resolution 1280x1024 too large for virtual 1152x864
(--) Mach64: Removing mode "1280x1024" from list of valid modes.
(**) Mach64: Mode "1152x864": mode clock = 110.000
(**) Mach64: Mode "1024x768": mode clock =  85.000
(**) Mach64: Virtual resolution: 1152x864
(--) Mach64: Video RAM: 2048k

In other words, you could have merely removed your highest
resolution from the list in /etc/X11/XF86Config, making sure
of course that the resolution you want to first appear is
first in the list.

> Now if I can just
> figure out how to coordinate a change in resolution with a corresponding
> change in virtual screen size. Maybe a virtual display with each
> resolution..... Any ideas? BTW I did see the reference in the docs, but
> did not understand how they applied. The examples were not clear.:-(

A reference to your reference would help. I'm not going to plough
through all the X docs on the off chance that I see something that
I think might be what you don't understand!

Cheers,