Re: XFree86-4.0 screen resolution missmatched with monitor viewing area

On  7 Feb, John Foster wrote:
> Damon Muller wrote:
>> While I don't know anything much about X4 modelines, and for myself
>> using the monitor's onscreen display was enough to fix it up, for your
>> problem of starting in the wrong resolution there is an easy fix.
>>
>> Under section `screen', go to the line that represents the colour depth
>> that you're using (which it probably the number next to `DefaultDepth'
>> in that same section. Just put the prefered resolution at the start of
>> the line, and Bob's your uncle.
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> damon
> Thanks. I already did that. I'm a perfectionist and prefer to use
> 1024x768 but the virtual screen is larger than the viewing area by about
> 40%. In 1280x1024 they match but my eyesight is too poor for that
> resolution without oversizing everything ...fonts @48, icons @ 120x120.
> Other ideas?

     The virtual resolution is by default set to the maximum resolution
for the display (I think).  In the display section add the line:

     Virtual 1024 768

You might not be able to switch to a larger display, however.  See
man XF86Config.

-Chris

|   Christopher Judd, Ph. D.                                           |
|   Research Scientist                                                 |
|   NYS Dept. of Health                           judd@wadsworth.org   |
|   Wadsworth Center - ESP                                             |
|   P. O. Box 509                                    518 486-7829      |
|   Albany, NY 12201-0509                                              |