Re: domain setup & email/DSL

Glenn Becker wrote:

> When I set up my Debian box, I named it debian.atomcam.com, which seemed
> logical at the time. I have since changed the numeric IP (we switched DSL
> providers when it turned out the former one had NOT BEEN PAYING THEIR
> BILLS to Covad ...) but have kept the debian.atomcam.com name.
>
> My networking-totally-ignorant question is: can I just "take" this name
> like this and assign it to my machine and "expect" things to
> work? Telnetting out (and *in* from outside when I use numeric IP) works
> fine, as do surfing, etc. But I have been trying to set up email -- I
> supposedly have a POP account with warped, for one -- and having no luck.

Hi Glenn!

What needs to happen for this to work, is that you need to have the 'A'
record for 'debian.atomcam.com' pointed to the ip of the machine in
question, in your DNS configs =)  I'm doing the same thing with a new
domain I registered through Dotster (who does user-controlled DNS
hosting for an extra $10/year) - I don't have 'www' defined yet, nor do
I have an 'MX' record (still negotiating the hosting details) - but the
'A' records I set up for my laptop and desktop machine are working
beautifully.

I'd get in contact with whomever does your DNS hosting, and ask them to
add the record for you - it shouldn't be a big deal in most cases.

Then, once you have name resolution, set up sendmail/exim on that
machine to report 'atomcam.com' as the domain, rather than
'localdomain'. (someone posted yesterday with how to do this in exim)

Hopefully this will help!

-b3