Re: HP 9100 series cd -writer?

> This seems to be an exact answer.
> What I actually asked above, was the question if
> it is enough to just
> change (using a text editor) the lines in
>
> /boot/config-2.2.17
>
> into something else (eg 'y' to 'm', eg that ide-scsi
> line) without
> compiling completely a new kernel.

Changing that file will do *nothing* to your current setup. It's only
there for reference. Those are the settings that the Debian "stock"
kernel you're probably using used when it was compiled.

> I know that some time this cd-rom burner has been
> working with this system, (and I'm confused what have
> happened with the system) and just now
> I'm a little bit busy to get this system hardware
> working relatively completely and later I'll have time to
> compile the kernel to make the
> system really well working.

Plenty of people have been able to get a CD-RW working with the stock
Debian kernel by loading the correct modules, editing the proper
module-related files, and probably the "append=???" line with LILO.

Regards
Hall