Re: Mother board and CPU upgrade

> I am planning on upgrading my debian (potato) box
> buy 'replacing' mother board, CPU and RAM. I know
> the RAM will not be a problem, but what about the
> motherboard and CPU? Is it possible to do this without
> a reinstall(going from TX mobo with pentium MMX to
> Bx with cleron)? I have not compiled a custom kernel.
> And all cards and hard drives will remain the same.

Since you're using the stock kernel, it's not processor-specific, so it
should work with anything from a i486 to a Pentium III. You should have
no problems in regard to the motherboard and CPU.

Your cards may end up with different settings though, especially if
they're PnP. The new BIOS may want to assign different IRQs and IO
addresses. If they have their settings "hard-coded", via jumpers for
example, you should be okay.

Regards
Hall