Re: postgresql 7.0.3 -- but NO plperl ?

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 06:08:20PM -0800, Eric G . Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 05:31:46PM -0600, will trillich wrote:
> > what do i need to get "plperl" active as a language from within
> > the new postgresql?
>
> I don't know for sure, but take a look at /usr/lib/postgresql/lib.  Do
> you have libperl.so ?  If so, I guess the handler is there.  Now, you

% locate libperl
/usr/lib/perl5/5.005/i386-linux/CORE/libperl.a

% ls /usr/lib/postgresql/lib
global1.bki.source
global1.description
local1_template1.bki.source
local1_template1.description
pg_geqo.sample
pg_hba.conf.sample

i'm not so sure that libperl is what i'm looking for... ?

> can look at /usr/lib/postgresql/lib/makelang_pl.sql for an example of
> how to enable it.  I don't know why there isn't a plperl script, like
> the one for plpgsql.

from what oliver has told me, if i've got
	deb http://www.samfundet.no/~tfheen/debian potato main
in /etc/apt/sources.list, postgresql would come with perl at the ready.
not that it isn't true, but i seem to have a knack for hosing my postgresql
setup...

i found /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/enable_pgpl, which enables plpgsql
instead, and correctly reports that plpgsql is already active:

 lanname  | lanispl | lanpltrusted | lanplcallfoid | lancompiler
----------+---------+--------------+---------------+-------------
 internal | f       | f            |             0 | n/a
 C        | f       | f            |             0 | /bin/cc
 sql      | f       | f            |             0 | postgres
 plpgsql  | t       | t            |         18560 | PL/pgSQL
(4 rows)

so where's plperl?

% dpkg -l postgre\*
un  postgres95     <none>         (no description available)
un  postgres95-dev <none>         (no description available)
ii  postgresql     7.0.3-0potato1 Object-relational SQL database, descended fr
ii  postgresql-cli 7.0.3-0potato1 Front-end programs for PostgreSQL
ii  postgresql-con 7.0.3-0potato1 Additional facilities for PostgreSQL
ii  postgresql-dev 7.0.3-0potato1 Header files for libpq (postgresql library)
ii  postgresql-doc 7.0.3-0potato1 Documentation for the PostgreSQL database.
ii  postgresql-pl  7.0.3-0potato1 A procedural language for PostgreSQL
in  postgresql-sli <none>         (no description available)

> Luck,

i need it!