Re: partitioning 45 gig HD

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 10:07:29PM -0800, Nick wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have experience partitioning large Hardrives and making Lilo happy?
>
> I don't know much about the 1024 cyclinder except that you need to install root somewhere before it.
>
> How can I tell w/ my drive?  Using a IBM Deskstar ATA/100 45 Gig
>
> I wanna make:
> /
> /usr
> /home
> /data maybe?
>
> How do I know when to use primary vs. logical?

To get around the 1024 thing put the line -
lba32
in your /etc/lilo.conf file or use the -L option.
# lilo -L

As far as partitioning primary vs. logical I think you can have 2 or so
primary and as many logical as you need.  I may be wrong on that.  I'm
sure someone will correct me if I am.  I don't think it matters that
much.  cfdisk or fdisk won't let you create more primary partitions than
you are allowed anyway.  I generally start with a / primary partition.
hth,
kent

--
I'd really love ta wana help ya Flanders but... Homer Simpson