Re: GRUB - LILO

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 05:28:02PM +0100, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> I am interested how I can make GRUB my favorite boot loader.

# cp -a /usr/share/grub/i386-pc /boot/grub
# grub
setup (hd0,0)

That's about it. Use at your own risk and please do read the docs first!
Creating /boot/grub/menu.lst would make the booting less painful.

> Right now make-kpkg wants to run Lilo. I just need to get the files in
> place and GRUB will do the rest, i can change the menu, if necesary by
> hand.

You can disable running lilo on kernel install. See man kernel-img.conf,
the parameters you might find interesting are do_boot_enable and
do_bootloader. I haven't bothered using these just yet, I still keep lilo
around for failsafe :)

> By the way, why are many using Lilo. In my opinion, GRUB does not break
> as easy. Once running, it is good for starting.

Well, generally "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies. People already
have LILO installed and they can boot their system with it, so why bother
messing with a brand new bootloader and possibly making the system
unbootable by accident. At least I studied the documentation quite
carefully before installing grub. Oh, and since grub 0.5.96.1 fails to
install when you use devfs, I even had to patch it first :-P

> Or do I miss an issue about the GRUB?

Well, I can't think of any. It's superior propably in every way, but it's
just too new to be as widely accepted as LILO.

--
Tommi Komulainen                                 Tommi.Komulainen@iki.fi
GPG 1024D/68388EE6    6FD6 DD79 EB38 BF6F 3533  09C0 04A8 9871 6838 8EE6