Re: Advice on HD partitioning

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 08:51:41AM -0800, Rick Commo wrote:
> Goal:	Gain experience with two different distros yet maintain a "usable"
> machine under both of these distros.
>
> Plan:	Install a 20GB hard disk and partition it as shown below:
>
> 	+-----------------------+-------+
> 	| swap                  | 512MB |
> 	+-----------------------+-------+
> 	| /home                 |   3GB |
> 	+-----------------------+-------+
> 	| / for stable Debian   |   4GB |
> 	+-----------------------+-------|
> 	| / for stable Mandrake |   4GB |
> 	+-----------------------+-------+
> 	| / for "play" Debian   |   4GB |
> 	+-----------------------+-------+
> 	| / for "play" Mandrake |   4GB |
> 	+-----------------------+-------+
>
> My plan was based on the assumptions that
>
> (1) all distros use the same file system, so /home can always be mounted
> (2) the swap space gets reinitialize on every reboot
> (3) LILO can be used to select which partition to boot from and
>     can be set up correctly from any of the OS versions
>
> This should not be rocket science, but I've been bit enough before while
> playing with "simple, obvious" things that I'd like to know ahead of time if
> there are there flies lurking in the ointment here and fix them up front.

(1) Yes you can mount /home whether debian or mandrake and can share
    that partition.
(2) Yes you can share the swap partition, it is "reinitialized."
(3) You can set up lilo from any of the distros and boot to whichever
    setup you want but just to be clear you setup lilo on *one* of the
    OS versions.

hth,
kent

--
I'd really love ta wana help ya Flanders but... Homer Simpson