Re: hd failure (maybe), please adivse

D-Man wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I have 2 hard drives in my computer:
>
>  o  an 8GB Quantum Bigfoot that came with the computer, Win98
>  preinstalled (/dev/hda)
>
>  o  a 10GB Maxtor that I bought ~1 year later and installed myself
>  (/dev/hdc)
>
> I also have a DVD-ROM (/dev/hdb) and a Zip drive (/dev/hdd)
>
> On /dev/hdc I have RH7 on the first half (not gone yet ;-)) and Debian
> potato on the second (with swap in the middle)
>
> Recently when I was in RH using X it began to drag, then just stopped
> responding.  The hd was making a repetitive clicking noise (didn't
> sound good).  I had to kill the power and cold reboot to get the system
> back.
>
> Shortly after that I was in Debian using 'find' to find a file.  The
> same thing happened, except that I was using the console so I saw lots
> of hdc: IRQ timeout, Device Busy error messages and a some ide1: reset
> success messages in between.  Some of the hdc: messages gave read or
> write errors on particular sectors.
>
> I was thinking that it must be a hardware problem, but my dad said
> that some low-level disk access programs can have a similar effect on
> a disk if they try to read/write beyond the end of the disk.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to whether it is a software or a
> hardware problem and what I might do to find out (and correct it!)?
> I'm looking for my warranty information (the drive is ~ 1.5 years old)
> in case it is hardware and still covered.  If I do need a new drive,
> what would you suggest I consider?  What should I flee from?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions or ideas you might have,
> -D

My advice as a hardware tech,get a replacement drive from Maxtor,trade
it for
something else(except Samsung) and never ever touch a Maxtor again.I've
replaced
a lot of them in the last 2 years(well over a hundred).If it clicks it's
as good as dead.The slowdown in apps it's the first sign and it's a
strange one becuse if you run specific DOS based diags or hdparm in
Linux they'll show a normal
transfer rate.