hd failure (maybe), please adivse

Hi all!

I have 2 hard drives in my computer:

 o  an 8GB Quantum Bigfoot that came with the computer, Win98
 preinstalled (/dev/hda)

 o  a 10GB Maxtor that I bought ~1 year later and installed myself
 (/dev/hdc)

I also have a DVD-ROM (/dev/hdb) and a Zip drive (/dev/hdd)

On /dev/hdc I have RH7 on the first half (not gone yet ;-)) and Debian
potato on the second (with swap in the middle)

Recently when I was in RH using X it began to drag, then just stopped
responding.  The hd was making a repetitive clicking noise (didn't
sound good).  I had to kill the power and cold reboot to get the system
back.

Shortly after that I was in Debian using 'find' to find a file.  The
same thing happened, except that I was using the console so I saw lots
of hdc: IRQ timeout, Device Busy error messages and a some ide1: reset
success messages in between.  Some of the hdc: messages gave read or
write errors on particular sectors.

I was thinking that it must be a hardware problem, but my dad said
that some low-level disk access programs can have a similar effect on
a disk if they try to read/write beyond the end of the disk.

Does anyone have any ideas as to whether it is a software or a
hardware problem and what I might do to find out (and correct it!)?
I'm looking for my warranty information (the drive is ~ 1.5 years old)
in case it is hardware and still covered.  If I do need a new drive,
what would you suggest I consider?  What should I flee from?

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas you might have,
-D