Re: are apt/sources.list http: and ftp: same?

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 11:08:56AM -0600, Gregory Guthrie wrote:
> At 03:05 PM 01/30/2001 -0600, will trillich wrote:
> >from what i recall of an identical thread frmo a coupla months
> >ago, the main difference is that ftp has a bit of overhead when
> >starting up any particular transfer. where http is designed for
> >"here's that file you asked for", ftp is designed for a bit more
> >interactive nosing-around.
> >
> >as for the server end of the arrangement, they may be the same
> >identical file, or they may be served from servers located in
> >different countries.
> -- The original question was not of performance, but functionality. I
> reported that http: lines to the woody were not finding known items, but
> simply changing it to ftp: fixed it. I think this is a bug, unless I am
> missing something.

just like on your web browser: sometimes, changing
works -- but it's most likely to be coincidence
(docroot for ftp is not likely to be the same as
docroot for http, in most cases).

See, if you were allowed to keep the money, you wouldn't
create jobs with it. You'd throw it in the bushes or
something.  But the government will spend it, thereby
creating jobs.      -- Dave Barry

will@serensoft.com    ***    http://www.dontUthink.com/