bad package

hi there

I'm trying to remove a package that I installed by mistake

if I try and remove it I get

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  hbf-kanji48
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 19 not
upgraded.
44 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 2118kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
dpkg: error processing hbf-kanji48 (--remove):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
 hbf-kanji48

if I try and re-install it I get

Selecting previously deselected package hbf-kanji48.
(Reading database ... 73284 files and directories currently
installed.)
Preparing to replace hbf-kanji48 1.0-1 (using
.../hbf-kanji48_1.0-1_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement hbf-kanji48 ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/hbf-kanji48.postrm: /usr/bin/kpsewhich: No such
file or directory
dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status
127
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: /usr/bin/kpsewhich: No such file or
directory
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/hbf-kanji48_1.0-1_all.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 127
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: /usr/bin/kpsewhich: No such file or
directory
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 127
 /var/cache/apt/archives/hbf-kanji48_1.0-1_all.deb

so I was wondering how would I remove this package
I have tried using dpkg and --force(ing) it to ignore error messages
but no I haven't be able to fix it.

I never seen an error that says "Package is in a very bad
inconsistent state"

can anyone suggest a fix

Thanks

Simeon