libc6 died on undefined symbol: __aurbrk

Hello Debianers,

Yesterday I encountered a very strange problem:
I compiled a kernel and unfortunately specified the wrong target for
make-kpkg:
I used make-kpkg binary, which resulted in error messages because of
filling up my /usr partition completely.
I found out about the error, deleted directory debian/tmp-source (which
freed the disc-space again) and continued with:
make-kpkg clean and make-kpkg kernel_image
But make-kpkg failed on building the debian-package (everything compiled
fine, but it couldn't build the package).
When I tried to do ls or something else the following message showed up:
error in loading shared libraries: /lib/libc.so.6: undefined symbol:
__aurbrk, version GLIBC_2.0
So I tried to login from another console, same thing. I tried to shutdown,
same thing, libc6 was dead. The only thing that helped was a hard reboot.
I already had a very bad feeling, but the thing came up fine, checked
filesystems, everything ok, and went on.
Anybody having a clue, what might have happened here? I'm a bit concerned
about this, as I'd like to compile a new kernel, but I'm at the moment
more or less in a production environment (writing on some important
documents), so toasting my machine would not be so good (I have backups,
but having to reinstall would cost some time).
Please cc to me on replies, because I'm at the moment not subscribed to
the list.

Regards,
Daniel