Re: Compiling a kernel for another machine

> I know this is possible (I even vaguely remember seeing
> it mentioned somewhere).
>
> What I want to do is compile a kernel on my desktop
> PC for my laptop. Just build it, copy the new kernel image
> across the network, rejig the laptop's lilo, reboot it, and
> Roberta's your crossdressing Aunt.
>
> I have this worry about all those bits I marked as Modules,
> though. I guess I have to copy those too, hmm? From where
> to where? Is there anything else I should worry about?

I think most people will suggest you use the "make-kpkg" utility. It
will create a "*.deb" file which you can copy to the laptop. Then just
"dpkg --install kernel-package-custom.deb" and it will install things
where they need to go.

You could do what you want by hand, but the above is likely the easiest
way.

Hall