Re: Compiling a kernel for another machine

On 30 Jan 2001, "Hall Stevenson" <hallstevenson@mindspring.com> wrote:

> > I have this worry about all those bits I marked as Modules,
> > though. I guess I have to copy those too, hmm? From where
> > to where? Is there anything else I should worry about?
>
> I think most people will suggest you use the "make-kpkg" utility. It
> will create a "*.deb" file which you can copy to the laptop.

Ahh! I never even thought of that! Its obvious though - what I'm
doing is dsitributing (even if it is only about 3' away) a kernel, so
I need to package it. Cool.

> Then just
> "dpkg --install kernel-package-custom.deb" and it will install things
> where they need to go.

Thanks, both to you, and the others who suggested the same (sort of)
thing :-)

So I've been there, done that, installed the package. Great. Now it
says it can't find the serial module. Serial module? I don't remember
even seeing an option for that. It seems kerneld is looking in
/etc/modules for the list of modules to load at startup, where, sure
enough, it lists serial as one which it should load, and no it isn't
in /lib/modules/<any directory>/<my kernel version>. This is the
first time I've had a play with kerneld, and it seems to have gone
wrong :-( Does anyone have any clues as to what I've missed?

--
Gary
Debian 2.1r4 (kernel v2.0.39); XFree86 3.3.6