Compiling a kernel for another machine

I know this is possible (I even vaguely remember seeing it mentioned
somewhere).

What I want to do is compile a kernel on my desktop PC for my laptop.
Just build it, copy the new kernel image across the network, rejig
the laptop's lilo, reboot it, and Roberta's your crossdressing Aunt.

I have this worry about all those bits I marked as Modules, though. I
guess I have to copy those too, hmm? From where to where? Is there
anything else I should worry about?

--
Gary
Debian 2.1r4 (kernel v2.0.39); XFree86 3.3.6