Re: How to manage file /etc/modules; What process?

Quoting John Foster (jfoster@augustmail.com):
> I have changed the kernel modules several times and in looking over the
> various files that are used when the kernel boots..I noticed the the
> file /etc/modules has not changed since I installed the system
> Dec.18,2000. It seems that this should be altered as the kernel gives a
> lot of boot messages indicating that it can not find many of the modules
> listed as needed. However they are no longer necessary with the
> alterations to the new kernel. There are also other modules that I think
> should be loaded that are not. What is the process for altering this
> file correctly? Is it something that I must hand edit or is there a tool
> to manage it.

You have to hand edit it, unless you are relying on kerneld/kmod
to insert modules for you (in which case it should contain at least
auto). The advantage of /etc/modules for certain things is that they
don't get autocleaned (removed), e.g. sound.

Cheers,