How to manage file /etc/modules; What process?

I have changed the kernel modules several times and in looking over the
various files that are used when the kernel boots..I noticed the the
file /etc/modules has not changed since I installed the system
Dec.18,2000. It seems that this should be altered as the kernel gives a
lot of boot messages indicating that it can not find many of the modules
listed as needed. However they are no longer necessary with the
alterations to the new kernel. There are also other modules that I think
should be loaded that are not. What is the process for altering this
file correctly? Is it something that I must hand edit or is there a tool
to manage it.
Thanks!
John