X troubles (serious) with testing/woody

Hello. Today I ran apt-get update; apt-get -u upgrade and found that new X
is out. "Yay!", I said. :) I ran the complete upgrade. About 13 packages
were kept back, so I sequentially upgraded them too. Now I closed X and
reconfigured it. Now when I run 'startx' this is what happens:

X: cannot stat /etc/X11/X (No such file or directory), aborting.

I checked the directory structures of /etc/X11 and noticed files are not
where they are supposed to be. Lots has changed. So, I removed
xfree86-common package and all thousand or so dependent packages and
started from scratch. All I can simply ask now is, "What do I do to make X
work?". If everything fails, I will just compile X, but I want to keep
that as my last resort.

P.S. As topic indicates, this is a woody/testing box.

Thanks in advance.

RAccess
#geeks/irc.openprojects.net