Re: How to manage file /etc/modules; What process?

> I have changed the kernel modules several times and
> in looking over the various files that are used when the
> kernel boots..I noticed the the file /etc/modules has not
> changed since I installed the system Dec.18,2000. It
> seems that this should be altered as the kernel gives a
> lot of boot messages indicating that it can not find many
> of the modules listed as needed. However they are no
> longer necessary with the alterations to the new kernel.
> There are also other modules that I think should be
> loaded that are not. What is the process for altering this
> file correctly? Is it something that I must hand edit or is
> there a tool to manage it.

I think you only need to list items that you really want loaded at boot
time. Since modules load and unload as necessary, it isn't vital that
they all be in memory right at bootup. For example, "sound"... do you
start using something that uses the sound module right away ?? Or,
"vfat" (if applicable)... I only need that module if I'm going to read
or write a file from my Windows partition.

Type "lsmod" sometime and see what modules are actually resident in
memory. I think a "0" value means there *is* a module, but it's
currently not loaded. A "1" means it's loaded in memory.

Regards
Hall