Re: Boston area: which ISP would you recommend

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 08:36:22AM -0500, David Z. Maze wrote:
> fast, and of not needing to deal with the phone company.  We tried to
> get DSL service from Speakeasy, and after a month and a half came up
> with nothing (due to the, um, unique infrastructure that DSL requires
> and its interaction with the phone company).  We quit after our third
> Firm Order Committment date -- in other words, the third time the
> phone company said they absolutely positively would show up to install
> the line.  MediaOne came out and installed our line in under a week;
> we were much happier then.

Oh yeah, I did forget to mention the hell you have to go through to
actually *get* a DSL connection.  It took me about 2 months to actually
get up and running.  There was some form of hang up in just about every
step.  To their credit, Speakeasy themselves were very prompt and
professional.  The problem is, the DSL line is a combination of services
from the phone company (Verizon), the DSL provider (Covad) and the ISP
(Speakeasy).  The Verizon steps weren't *that* bad.  They showed up on
time.  It took them a couple extra days to get the loop up and running,
but it wasn't super bad.

The real problems were with Covad.  The first guy showed up on time only
to discover that there weren't enough wire pairs from my apartment (5th
floor) to the phone closet (basement).  Wires would have to be run and
Covad would have to come back at a later date to finish the wiring.

With help from a friend I installed a couple hundred feet of cat 5 from
the apartment to the basement and rescheduled a Covad installation.
Things looked good.  Then, the day before my installation, Covad emails
me to say they've fired the tech responsible for my area, delaying my
installation until they could replace him!

3 weeks or so later, their new tech showed up on time and installed the
hardware.  He loved the fact that I had installed all new cat 5, too.
8^)

I have heard that speakeasy would like to find a new DSL partner, but I
don't know for sure.  It would be nice.

I've docmented much of this stuff on my web site,
http://web.morgul.net/~frodo/
Most people probably won't have to deal with the crap I had.  I just got
unlucky in most cases, I think.  I still recommend speakeasy if you're
in the right proximity to the phone POP.

noah