Re: Boston area: which ISP would you recommend

Noah L Meyerhans <frodo@morgul.net> writes:
NLM> On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 02:07:37PM -0800, Christophe Broult wrote:
 CB> I have just relocated from Normandy, France to Boston,
 CB> MA. I am wondering if any of you in the Boston area
 CB> would have any suggestion about an ISP whether it is
 CB> via regular modem, cable or DSL.
NLM>
NLM> I use a DSL line from Speakeasy (www.speakeasy.net).  I am *very*
NLM> pleased with their service!
(...)
NLM> I used to have a cable modem with RCN.  Avoid them.  Their service was
NLM> absolutely horrid.  The connection was technically *up* most of the
NLM> time, but latency was the worst I've ever seen (try 30 second round trip
NLM> times on pings).

I've also heard pretty bad things about RCN.  A number of people I
know (including myself) have cable modem service from MediaOne,
though, and it seems to be pretty good.  Their major problems are that
(1) IP address assignment is purely dynamic, you can't get a static
IP, and (2) they tend not to honor their own DHCP leases, so once a
month or so my (potato) firewall machine gets really confused because
its IP address doesn't work any more.

M1 cable modem service also has the advantages of being cheap and
fast, and of not needing to deal with the phone company.  We tried to
get DSL service from Speakeasy, and after a month and a half came up
with nothing (due to the, um, unique infrastructure that DSL requires
and its interaction with the phone company).  We quit after our third
Firm Order Committment date -- in other words, the third time the
phone company said they absolutely positively would show up to install
the line.  MediaOne came out and installed our line in under a week;
we were much happier then.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell