Re: kernel 2.4 woes

To quote <ocorrain@esatclear.ie>,
# Dear All,
#
# Having successfully compiled 2.4 for my desktop PC (a Compaq Deskpro
# w/ 500 mhz Penium), I decided to do the same for my laptop (compaq
# armada with 233 mhz mmx). Everything seemed to be going happily until
# I tried to boot (after editing lilo.conf and running lilo -v),
# whereupon the computer loaded the kernel, announced 'Ok, booting the
# kernel', and stopped dead in its tracks. I have the uptodate versions
# of ppp, modutils and so forth, and am (against advice) compiling under
# gcc 2.95, which produced no problems on the desktop machine.
#
# Has this happened to anyone else. Any advice? I was tempted to think
# that it was something wrong with lilo, until I noticed that the
# version on the laptop was actually more recent than the desktop,

Double-check that the CPU type is set properly in the kernel config. It
defaults to Pentium III, and I forgot to set it to what I wanted a few
times ;)

David Barclay Harris, Clan Barclay
    Aut agere, aut mori. (Either action, or death.)