kernel 2.4 woes

Dear All,

Having successfully compiled 2.4 for my desktop PC (a Compaq Deskpro
w/ 500 mhz Penium), I decided to do the same for my laptop (compaq
armada with 233 mhz mmx). Everything seemed to be going happily until
I tried to boot (after editing lilo.conf and running lilo -v),
whereupon the computer loaded the kernel, announced 'Ok, booting the
kernel', and stopped dead in its tracks. I have the uptodate versions
of ppp, modutils and so forth, and am (against advice) compiling under
gcc 2.95, which produced no problems on the desktop machine.

Has this happened to anyone else. Any advice? I was tempted to think
that it was something wrong with lilo, until I noticed that the
version on the laptop was actually more recent than the desktop,

Help much appreciated

Tiarnan